Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Go ask Alice!

Summer is winding down for me and hours spent painting are being replaced with hours of math lesson plans.  I finished the grandson's birthday present. I had some requests to do similar illustrative art...I don't know...I have a career that already keeps me fairly busy...I need projects that feed my soul not my pocket...I would have to be very selective.

I need to find a photographer to photograph my paintings as they are too large for the scanners available in my area.  I don't know why there isn't a large bed scanner at Commercial Press in Cumberland. There is such a burgeoning artist community here...strange.
 
I enjoyed copying the William Etty and think I am beginning to achieve a light enough underpainting technique to glaze over properly.


I have paused to contemplate a palette to glaze this underpainting, an original work entitled "Falling". I want to keep it fairly dark and moody as I was thinking about the veiled sexual awakening in "Alice and Wonderland" when I drew it...a bit disturbing considering how old Alice was when Carroll wrote it.  Notice I made Alice more womanly, perhaps to keep from creeping myself out. Perhaps I should illustrate the whole novel as a gift to my children.  I've read it aloud 20 or more times.


No comments:

Post a Comment